“A clean environment is essential to a high quality of life for every American. Washington state is home to tremendous natural beauty and many Washingtonians are recreation enthusiasts. During my time in the Senate, I have consistently fought for legislation that protects our environment and supports the unique resources and quality of life we enjoy in Washington. I believe that environmental protection is compatible with long-term economic growth, and I have joined with local leaders to protect our state’s environment, enhance recreational opportunities in the region, and promote innovative, locally-based approaches.”
- Upholding robust environmental laws to prevent future environmental degradation.
- Supporting sensible policies to address climate change.
- Preserving and protecting public lands and Washington state’s backcountry.
- Increasing environmental education and research opportunities.
- Ensuring environmental programs receive adequate federal support.
- Providing adequate funding for the National Park Service and the United States Forest Service to ensure appropriate management of our federal lands.
- Championed the Wild Sky Wilderness Act, which was signed into law in May 2008 – the first new wilderness area in Washington state in 20 years.
- Led efforts to increase federal support and ensure the timely cleanup of the Hanford Nuclear Reservation in order to protect local residents and the surrounding natural resources.
- Annually lead the fight for funding of the Pacific Coastal Salmon Recovery Fund for salmon restoration projects throughout the Pacific Northwest.
- Fought to defend the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act from legislative attacks.
- Led efforts to designate the Hanford Reach National Monument, which includes a 51-mile, free-flowing stretch of the Columbia River and key salmon spawning ground.
- Helped create – and continue to support – the Northwest Straits Initiative to restore vital marine ecosystems in the Puget Sound and the straits of Georgia and Juan de Fuca through locally-driven projects and partnerships.