Equal protection under the law is a fundamental right in our country. Senator Murray believes in the basic principle that no one should endure discrimination because of their race, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Whether applying for a job, finding a home, attending school, or voting in an election, Senator Murray is focused on ensuring that all citizens are treated fairly and equally.
Senator Murray has been fighting to advance equal rights by:
- Urging the Supreme Court to rule in favor of nationwide marriage equality.
- Fighting to reduce inequality in public education and access to fair and affordable housing.
- Investing in communities to grow the middle class and expand economic opportunity for all Americans.
- Working to ensure same-sex couples receive equal treatment under the law
- Protecting the rights of people with disabilities
Senator Murray is focused on continuing to fight for LGBT and Civil Rights by:
- Introducing the Equality Act to ban discrimination against LGBT people in employment, housing, public places, jury service, access to credit, and federal funding.
- Fighting to pass criminal justice reform to ensure our justice system is fair and transparent.
- Working to reduce bullying and harassment of students at K-12 schools and colleges across the country.
- Promoting employment opportunities for people with disabilities.
- Pushing to restore the Voting Rights Act, the key federal law that protects the right to vote of all Americans, particularly those who have historically suffered discrimination at the ballot box.
- Ensuring the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to further address discriminatory blood donation policies against gay and bisexual men.