Seven grants totaling more than $13 million will go to Washington state organizations
(Washington, D.C.)—Today, U.S. Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) announced that Washington state will receive seven competitive AmeriCorps grants totaling more than $13 million in funding from the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS). These grants are targeted to organizations that sponsor national service programs to tackle community needs in the areas of education, veterans and military families, economic opportunity, environmental stewardship, and disaster services. Grants will go to communities across the state, including Olympia, Seattle, Bellingham, and Trout Lake.
“These investments are excellent news for Washington state and will put even more strong advocates for children and families in our communities,” said Senator Patty Murray. "From training veterans helping them gain job skills, to literacy tutoring for at-risk students, and so much more—these volunteers make a real difference in the lives of those they work with. As a strong supporter of AmeriCorps, I am so glad to see these programs building on the great work these organizations are already doing.”
“AmeriCorps members make a powerful impact on the toughest challenges facing our nation,” said Wendy Spencer, CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service. “Building on Washington’s strong tradition of neighbor helping neighbor, AmeriCorps members will improve lives and strengthen communities across the state. While they serve others, AmeriCorps members will also expand opportunity for themselves – gaining skills and experience to jumpstart their careers. I salute all the AmeriCorps members for their dedication and thank our outstanding partners who make their service possible.”
Organizations receiving the grants include VetsWork, College Access Corps, EarthCorps, and Washington Conservation Corps.
Below is a breakdown of the funding being awarded to Washington. To read more about what each program does, click here.
1. Trout Lake: Mt. Adams Institute, VetsWork: Environment - $531,050 supporting 43 AmeriCorps member positions.
2. Bellingham: Washington Campus Compact, College Access Corps - $672,000 supporting 56 AmeriCorps member positions.
3. Seattle: EarthCorps - $360,000 supporting 30 AmeriCorps member positions.
4. Olympia: WA State Department of Ecology, WA Conservation Corps - $1,823,920 supporting 285 AmeriCorps member positions.
5. Olympia: WA State Employment Security Department, WA Reading Corps - $1,860,000 supporting 150 AmeriCorps member positions.
6. Lacey: WA State Employment Security Department, WA Service Corps - $7,149,870 supporting 567 AmeriCorps member positions.
7. Olympia: WA State Department of Veterans Affairs, Vet Corps - $630,500 supporting 50 AmeriCorps member positions.