The safety and efficiency of our nation’s vast transportation network
is critical to every American. Daily commuters, senior citizens, small
businesses and so many more rely on our transportation infrastructure
to go about their daily lives and provide for themselves and their
As Chairman of the Senate Transportation, Housing, and
Urban Development Appropriations Subcommittee, I play a key role in
working to make the investments we need to build a stronger
transportation network. In this capacity, I have made it a top priority
to maintain a high level of safety on our roads, in the sky, and along
our rail corridors. I have also been committed to making smart
investments that facilitate the efficient movement of commerce to
promote economic growth in our communities.
As Chairman, I have helped to direct funding to maintain and
improve the interstate highway system, modernize airports, expand
public transit in urban and rural areas, and invest in transportation
research and safety programs.
In addition, I have also worked to address the unique
transportation challenges we face in Washington State. Each year, I
return millions of dollars to support local and state projects that
reduce congestion, increase safety, and create jobs. I am dedicated to
continuing the fight for Washington’s transportation needs in the
- Increasing public transit options for urban and rural
areas to provide people with transportation alternatives.
- Supporting the development of new, clean sources of
energy so our transportation system is less dependent upon fossil fuels.
- Improving our national transportation infrastructure by
investing in roads and bridges to support commerce and expand economic
- Modernize the Federal Aviation Administration’s Air
Traffic Control system to reduce delays of flights, improve airline
safety and allow a more effiecient management.
- Working to reduce traffic congestion in Washington State
and across the country.
- Directing investments to our nation’s ferry system.
- Fought to secure federal funding for critical
infrastructure investments in roads, bridges, and safety improvements
throughout the country.
- Been Washington state’s Congressional leader in securing
federal funding for Sound Transit, including a Full Funding Grant
Agreement (FFGA) in 2003 which secured $500 million in federal funding
for the Link Light Rail project in Puget Sound.
- Supported Amtrak and other rail activities to give
Americans more affordable alternatives to driving.
- Funded safety improvements on highways and interstates
across the nation and in Washington State, including Highway 12 and
numerous state routes.
- Supported funding for transportation research to increase
efficiency and safety and decrease pollution.
- Funded public transit agencies to make public
transportation more accessible and affordable.
- Worked to invest nearly $700 million in Washington state
roads, transit, shipyards and ferries in the American Recovery and