The United States service academies provide an outstanding opportunity for motivated young people to receive a quality education while gaining the skills necessary to serve their country as professional officers. Senator Murray considers nominations to the:
- US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO
- US Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD
- US Military Academy in West Point, NY
- US Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY
Applicants should begin applying in the spring of their junior year of high school. The eligibility requirements used by Senator Murray are those established by law and that all Members of Congress require when nominating applicants.
When reviewing academy candidates’ qualifications, Senator Murray considers each candidate’s application strictly on merit; there are no partisan or political considerations. The individual qualities that Senator Murray looks for in an application are:
- scholastic aptitude
- leadership potential
- demonstrated athletic ability
The admissions process is highly competitive to ensure the top-ranked, best-qualified nominee is offered admission. Each year, Senator Murray receives over 200 requests for academy nominations. Additionally, Senator Murray nominates 10 applicants for each vacancy at each academy. A higher number of nominees increases the quality of the incoming academy class.
The nomination application period opens May 17th, 2021-please do not submit application materials prior to this date. Applicants must complete the following three steps:
Step 1 – Contact Academy(s)
During the Spring of your junior year of high school, contact the academy(s) you are interested in so they can create an applicant file for you. Click the links below to begin that process.
Step 2 – Apply through all of your Congressional Representatives
It is best to apply to be nominated not just by Senator Murray’s office, but also by Senator Cantwell’s office, and your Congressional District Representative. Below are helpful links to start that process with all three Congressional offices.
- Senator Murray’s Service Academy Application (more information included in Step 3).
- Senator Maria Cantwell’s Service Academy Application
- Click here to identify your Congressional District Representative and find their Service Academy Application.
Step 3 – Submit Senator Murray’s Application
The following documents are required to submit an application. All documents must be submitted through Senator Murray’s online application.
- A certified copy of your high school transcript.
- A certified copy of your college transcript (if available). There will be an additional item option and location in the application checklist for this to be uploaded.
- Three letters of recommendation. At least one must be from a teacher, high school counselor, or principal.
- SAT or ACT scores. Senator Murray’s identification number at the Educational Testing Service is 4322. Senator Murray’s identification code is 7194 for the ACT. You may list this code number on your request for score reports to be sent directly to Senator Murray’s office. If you have already completed the SAT or did not indicate Senator Murray’s office as a test score report recipient, you may send a copy of the report they receive.
- A list of any awards and accomplishments, both extracurricular and academic, that you have received. If there are inconsistencies in your record or extenuating circumstances which merit special attention, you are encouraged to address them here.
- A 500 word essay that answers the question, “What are the essential qualities a person must possess to be a military officer?”
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact Senator Murray’s Military Service Academy coordinator by phone at (206) 553-5545 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.